- “Aids was passed on from monkeys to humans”
- “Aids only affects marginal people”
- “Africans are not able to cope with the Aids epidemic”
- “Research has made no headway in 25 years”
To put an end to the clichés surrounding HIV and the Aids virus, here is some useful information for your everyday life.
Reminder: Aids is transmitted through blood, sperm and vaginal secretions.
It is not transmitted through:
- Lending or exchanging clothing
- Being near or stroking animals
- Visiting or touching a HIV positive person or a patient in hospital
- Being bitten by a mosquito
- Sharing food
- Using toilets
- Using a public shower or a HIV positive person’s shower
- Shaking a HIV positive person’s hand
- Swimming in the sea, river or swimming pool.